On 18 February 1946, a mutiny erupted across almost the entire Indian Navy, against their British naval commanders.


[ As of 7/8 July this article is being edited ]

On 18 February 1897, a punitive expedition of 1,200 Royal Marines, bluejackets and African troops, under the command of Rear Admiral Harry Rawson seized the ancient city of Benin. Situated amid dense rain forest some 200 miles east of Lagos, it was the capital of the kingdom of Benin, rich in palm oil and rubber, which had for years fiercely maintained its independence from British control, much to the frustration of the Royal African Company which otherwise already dominated the commerce of much of southern Nigeria.

In January 1897, the ambush of an unauthorised expedition to Benin City by the acting consul general, James Phillips, and his killing along with all but two of the mission’s European participants, provided a timely pretext for the British to finally annex the kingdom. The evidence suggests that the Oba, or king, had acted on the assumption, rightly or wrongly, that the party numbering close to 300 men, intended to depose him. However, such considerations mattered little to the British press, which insisted on vengeance; The Times urging that ‘the King of Benin must now share the fate of Nana, Ja-Ja, and other savage potentates who have mistaken the patience of the British government for weakness which could with impunity be defied, and when his stronghold of brutality has been destroyed British authority will most effectively be vindicated by the opening of an important district to civilised intercourse.’1

When, after ten days, Rawson’s troops reached the city, they met according to a report published in several newspapers ‘with a more determined resistance than had been expected,’ although due to their overwhelming firepower, which included rockets, seven pounders and a rapid fire Maxim machine gun, they had soon captured all the key strongpoints including the Royal Palace, at the cost of just one officer and three men killed. Attention then immediately turned to the highly profitable prospect of looting the now almost empty city since, as one correspondent explained, the ‘people awestruck’ had ‘fled as one man.’2

The same reporter recorded his amazement at the ‘evidences of civilisation which one meets at every hand and which are shown in various ways… and still greater interest has been excited by traces of a civilisation much more ancient than probably that of Egypt,’ adding that the Royal Palace, ‘was full of valuable antiquities, and would prove a splendid field for antiquarians.’3 However, antiquarians would never get the opportunity to view them in situ, as Rawson authorised the immediate removal of over two thousand priceless bronze and ivory sculptures and metal plaques, some dating back to the thirteenth century, that decorated the vast compound. They were transported back to Britain, where a little under half was given to the British Museum and the remainder sold off by the Admiralty to cover the costs of the operation. The Bristol Times and Mirror reported on 21 September that ‘the public had their first opportunity today to view the Benin loot sent to this country on behalf of the government,’ adding that they included ‘excellent samples of the rude art of Western Africa,’ though it was ‘a pity the Museum authorities have not given more publicity to it.’4 Even today, despite its better understanding of the religious and cultural value of the antiquities, the British Museum refuses to return them.

It was fortunate for Rawson that his troops quickly completed their looting of the palace, since on 21 February, during demolition work on selected buildings, a blaze was ignited which spread out of control, the conflagration feeding off the thatched roofs of the buildings until it engulfed the entire city. Ten days later, Rawson belatedly informed the Admiralty that ‘a serious fire broke out at Benin during the occupation of the town by the British expedition,’ adding that ‘there was no water to spare, so no attempt was made to quench the flames.’


  1. The Times, cited in Ian Hernon, Britain’s Forgotten Wars: Colonial Campaigns of the 19th Century, The History Press, Stroud, 2008, p. 413.
  2. ‘Benin City Captured,’ The Lincolnshire Chronicle, 27 February 1897, p. 3 and ‘The Benin Expedition: Capture of the City – Stubborn Resistance,’ The Bristol Times and Mirror, 27 February 1897, p. 12.
  3. ‘The Capture of Benin,’ The Edinburgh Evening News, 6 March 1897, p. 4.
  4. ‘Our London Letter,’ The Bristol TImes and Mirror, 21 September 1897, p. 8.
  5. ‘The Capture of Benin,’ Lloyds Weekly Newspaper, 7 March 1897, p. 4.

Please feel welcome to post comments below.  If you have any questions please email alisdare@gmail.com

© 2020 Alisdare Hickson All rights reserved

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.